1 package philo dough
1 lb sweet cream butter melted
1 1/2 cups of finely chopped nuts of your choice
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs water
1 cup simple Syrup (written below)
ground pistachio to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix nuts, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl.
3. Butter each layer of the philo dough and layer 4 sheets at a time then add nuts and repeat the layers.
4. Cut the pastry into any shape, most commonly squares or diamond shape.
5. Place in oven and cook for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Drizzle the baklava while in the pan with the simple syrup and then let cool completely before serving.
7. Garnish each piece with ground pistachio.
Ingredients for Syrup:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs rose water
1 tbs orange blossom water (Optional)
1. For syrup, place sugar, water and lemon in a pot and let come to a soft boil, let simmer for 10 minutes then remove from heat
2. Add rose water and orange blossom water, let simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let cool completely before adding to sweet.