8 cups or 2 quart milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice (for making paneer / fresh cheese)
1 tablespoon sliced almonds or pistachio for garnishing
1. Make Paneer / fresh cheese with 4 cup of Milk. Do not knead the paneer.
(Half all the quantities written in recipe of paneer for kalakand i.e. 4 cup of milk, 2/3 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of water. Follow the procedure only).
2. Boil remaining 4 cup of the milk in a heavy bottom frying pan on medium high heat until the milk reduces to about half (two cups).
Stir milk frequently to avoid its burning.
3. Add the paneer/ fresh cheese in the milk and keep stirring till the mixture get thick and form a soft dough.
4. Add the sugar and continue to cook and stirring until the mixture become soft lump and start leaving the pan from sides.
5. Pour it over greased plate keeping about half inch thick.
6. Let it cool for about one hour. Cut the kalakand in pieces.
1. Use only self made paneer / fresh cheese.
2. If kalakand is too soft put the plate in microwave oven for 2 to 3 minutes. Just make sure that kalakand don’t become dry.